Monday, August 11, 2014

August 11, 2014 - Compton Robbery, Samoans and Baptisms.

Ok, here we go. Another week that has just ended, man times flies way too fast. But this week was eventful and I learned a lot! So cool. We are having so much fun over here in CRAZY LBN zone. 
             
This week we started out with a good ol' exchange, y we had lots of success. I went with an elder that is in our zone that serves in the Samoan wards. In our zone we have Samoan elders, Spanish and Tongan. Cool! It's super unique to go to a new culture and see how they are. 

The Elder I was on exchanges with does missionary work a whole lot different than Spanish elders do it. Samoans are not just everywhere through out all of LB, it's pretty hard to find them. That's why PMG Working With Members is KEY to them, 100% of the baptisms they have there in that ward are member referrals. So we were going by all these members and having some awesome lessons with them. Some members could only speak Samoan so I had NO idea what I was doing. Yeah...and also I don't eat too much, especially nasty food...and if you don't eat a Samoans food they don't like you. I'm pretty sure I offended at least 10 members...haha good times. 

Going on that exchange brought me to my greeny days, how I didn't know a language and I felt so out of place, man it's cool to see yourself get better everyday! I LOVE that my mission is Spanish, I love that culture. The exchange was all around successful! 
           
Later on in the week we had a BUSY schedule. With sets, meetings and trainings to give it was gnarly. But I saw some really really cool miracles that happened along the way. 

On Thursday we had Zone meeting and it was great, we set some high goals as a Zone and man have we been on FIRE lately, everyone is so pumped up, the field is being harvested right now. 

After ZM we had weekly planning and that is always good to sit down and organize your week. And later that day we had a meeting with President Tew at 4pm, we had to drive to the mission office. 
We get there and President is running a little late talking to some other elder in a meeting, we start our meeting with him as about 4:45 or so and go till about 5:30 and try to rush home, but little do we know...traffic. So we get home at 6 or so and get a call from one of our District leaders, he tells us their bike tires were stolen over in Compton and all the parts were stripped, the only thing left were the frames locked to the pole...we told them they could borrow our bikes and loaded them up on the bike rack and ran the bikes over to them. We were about to head out to work at about 7, then we get another call from another DL. He was suuuuper sick and asked if we could do a "sick exchange" with him. So we rush to his house and I take his comp with me to go out and work at night.

At this time it is about 7:30, I knew we had not taught one single lesson that day and we had to be back in about 1 hour to swap again. But I knew the Lord would provide. We get in the car, and we pray. Praying for help of who we need to go by and teach, we knew we did not have to much time to go by tons of people. But we relied on God. When the prayer ended I thought of a potential to go by, why a potential over my INVs? I have no idea, usually I would go for daily contact of something in the night times, but I knew God was talking to us. So we went by Victor.
 
We have been by him 2 or 3 times and every time was super weak. But we had faith. We enter in the apartment complex with Cholo music booming, people smoking dope. I could barley breathe and hear.  At least I had my eyes...haha, we walk through the ghettoness and make our way to his place, knock on his door and he answered and looked super preoccupied. We asked him about his day and how he was, small talk out of the way and we try to share the message with us. Surprisingly he asked us to come in and sit down, we close the door behind us for some quietness. We sit down and start to talk, as we talk you can seen a true change in his demeanor, he sits up and starts looking more intently at us and soon asks us if we can invite his wife to sit down with us, we said CLARO QUE SI!! 

The lesson was overall awesome, it was powerful and they both loved the story of Joseph Smith. I love when people love that story, it's so true and real and the key to the difference of others from us. It was a great miracle to see that God provided what we needed, to find new INVs and to teach. We were soooo busy all day and had no time at all, but still...God Provides.
 
On another note, one of my old INVs from Cerritos got baptized on Sunday. Her name is Esme and it is a super cool story. When I was a greeny my first transfer, she was the first INV I had ever found. Over 18 months ago, y the was not to strong back then, then I left and went to Cryprus and came back and Elder Brock whitewashing. We picked her back up and worked really hard with her. But still didn't go anywhere. Well we get a call this week and then find out that we is getting baptized! She wanted Elder Brock and I to come back and baptize her. It was soooo cool. Like how cool is that!! She was the first inv I ever found! And now she is baptized, it's cool to be here for so long to see that! 

Well family I love you! I am in love this City of LB, it's so fun and ghetto and awesome. I love y'all so much and I hope you have a great day! 

Elder Schooff

We ate a pig nose in pazole 
This is lb and a lion, yup!
This is Esme! 



No comments:

Post a Comment